Customer Experience Manager
We are searching for a mid-level Customer Experience Manager. At StormSensor, our customers are our reason for being. Our objective as the CX team is to do whatever it takes to help our customers accomplish their goals with the help of StormSensor. This means that life in CX brings something different each day—whether it is deep diving into the technical aspects of flow modeling or sensor network design; talking product with our hardware or data science teams; helping our cities understand and act on the data we provide; or working in the field with installation crews to get our sensor networks into the ground. Internally, the CX team represents the voice of the customer to our colleagues and are an important part of the sales and marketing process.
You love talking to people about water and are passionate about helping cities adapt and thrive in an uncertain climate future. Communication skills are paramount as your job is to work directly with public works employees, engineers, contractors, analysts, scientists, and even the public. You are great at reaching out and following up with customers, partners, and contractors. Most of all, you want to delight our customers through both their product experience and their working relationship with StormSensor, and you enjoy seeing people succeed – with your help, of course!
In this era of remote work, you are performant while working remotely from home – but you must also thrive in the field and in front of customers. You are excited to get your hands dirty while leading and managing field efforts. We work with built infrastructure and physical sensor networks, so there is no substitute for getting out there and seeing things for yourself.
As a growing startup, we are also looking for high-growth candidates. In your application, tell us about what drives you, your career goals, and how we can help you get there!
In addition, you are:
- Naturally inquisitive. Curiosity is a strength!
- An excellent communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to solve any problem you put your mind to, or at the very least you can figure out the best person to solve that problem.
- Convinced that anything is possible! It’s just a matter of figuring out how.
- Comfortable being uncomfortable. You have the courage to get through toughsituations and tough times.
- A mentor. You can communicate collaboratively with everyone, both team membersand customers.
- Able to ask for and accept feedback gracefully and effectively.
- Able to bounce back from failure and realize you’re not in this alone.
- Egoless (or at least as much as is reasonable for a human to be). You’ll make mistakes,you’ll fix mistakes, you won’t judge others’ mistakes, and you’ll grow from each experience.
As a CXM, you will take ownership over specific customer accounts, which may include municipal/utility, commercial, and industrial accounts. You have responsibility to make each customer successful in accomplishing their goals and be delighted by StormSensor, starting from your first contact through to an ongoing relationship. You will onboard and deploy initial networks with new customers, ensure that the customers understand and are adopting the data and insights from StormSensor, create a definition of success, and maintain an ongoing relationship with the customer, resulting in renewals, network expansions, and upgrades.
To that end, you will work closely with the CX team, including CX engineers/scientists and technicians. You will spend up to 50% of your time in the field, working directly with our customers. You will also work closely with contractors and local crews in the field. Tasks include scouting out local issue areas, designing sensor networks, overseeing installations and maintenance work, and helping our customers integrate and embrace StormSensor’s data and analytics into their daily workflows. Your local presence is an incredibly powerful way to understand the unique problems in stormwater and urban flooding management that each city faces. Your end goal is to make sure our sensor networks are in top condition, and that customers’ critical data is being delivered.
You will develop a working understanding of a variety of topics, including urban infrastructure, stormwater and sewer management, flooding, flow modeling, coastal and climate behavior, and water quality protection. You might be an expert in one or more of these topics already. You will also learn how StormSensor can help cities tackle challenges in any of these areas and will help them design and implement sensor networks to address those issues. You will be able to troubleshoot issues and clearly explain how cities can best use StormSensor’s solutions.
You will learn the StormSensor hardware, networking, and data processing stacks in detail in order to diagnose and troubleshoot issues. As a frontline user of all of StormSensor’s products, external and internal, your feedback is crucial to our product development process. As an early member of the CX team, you will also have a large role in defining and implementing processes and tools to support our ongoing growth as a company.
Specific tasks include:
- Be the primary interface with customers to manage and resolve any essential situations.
- Manage and direct CX engineers, scientists, and technicians supporting your accounts.Identify and manage contractor relationships for local presence.
- Work closely with Sales team to ensure smooth transition to customer onboarding.Guide them through the installation and setup process, ensuring adoption and ongoingengagement throughout the customer’s lifetime.
- Periodically monitor sensor network performance and determine best course of actionto keep them performing well.
- Analyze flow data and help customers understand their StormSensor data and analytics.
- Perform periodic customer success reviews to maintain satisfaction, resolve issues, andencourage network expansion and software upgrades with existing customers.
- Develop presentations and present findings to customers.
- Capture relevant information to complete at least one case study per customer.
- Voice of the customer: be the advocate for the customer to StormSensor’s Product, Hardware, Marketing, and Sales teams.
- Exceed all performance targets, including maintaining high renewal rates andconversion to network expansions and product upgrades.
- Define and implement standards/procedures for ensuring optimal customer experience.
- Present at conferences and network with future customers.
- 3+ years of experience in customer/client-facing roles, e.g., customer success/experience at SaaS or hardware company, civil/environmental consulting.
- B.S./M.S. in civil/environmental engineering, environmental science, geology, or related field, OR prior demonstrated ability to develop technical subject matter expertise.
- Experience in data science, stormwater modeling, sewer/hydraulic engineering, and/or urban geography/GIS a plus.
- Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
- Great planning, organizational, and creative thinking skills
- U.S. work authorization
- Location: remote, based near major hub airport
- Able to travel up to 50% to support customer projects. Travel responsibilities may be greater than 50% for the first several months for training and customer introductions.
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Benefits & Perks
- Compensation: salary (depends on experience) + commission
- Monthly health insurance stipend
- Unlimited paid time off
- Remote work + tight team
- Passionate, collaborative, and generally awesome co-workers
- Coming Oct. 1: comprehensive benefits package, including company-sponsored health insurance
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Note concerning travel during COVID-19 pandemic: StormSensor is considered an essential service provider (water/wastewater) and continues to travel to customer cities during the pandemic. We follow all CDC guidelines to ensure the safety of our team and our customers.