Customer Experience Associate or Manager
We are searching for a Customer Experience Associate or Customer Experience Manager (depending on experience) who loves talking to engineers about water, is passionate about creating vibrant communities, thrives with remote work, and integrates perfectly with our team. Communication skills are paramount. Being able to work directly with public works employees, environmental engineers, designers, analysts, scientists, and customers is all part of the job.
At StormSensor, our customers are our reason for being, and so our objective as the Customer Experience (CX) team is to do whatever it takes to make our customers successful at whatever it is they are trying to accomplish with the help of our technology! Their success is StormSensor’s success as well.
This means that life in CX brings something different each day—whether it is deep diving into the scientific and technical nuances of flow modeling or optimal network design; talking product with our hardware or data science teams; helping our cities figure out what exactly the data shows is going on in their sewers; or working in the field alongside city crews or our contractor partners to get our sensor networks into the ground. The CX team is a crucial part of the sales and marketing process, and as the owners of customer relationships, we are responsible for making sure our customers stay with us and that we are successful together.
You have excellent communication skills, you love reaching out and following up and making sure that everybody we work with, from customers to partners to contractors, are on-board, performant, and happy. You are comfortable working with the people who get their hands dirty and understand our sewer and infrastructure like no other—as well as with the people in the mayor’s office. And importantly, you too are comfortable getting your hands dirty and supporting and managing field efforts.
You will spend about half of your time focused on your customer cities, which can require up to 50% travel. Typical tasks include scouting out local issues and sensor locations, overseeing physical installations, making sure our physical sensor networks are in top condition, and
helping our customers integrate and embrace StormSensor into their daily workflows. Your local presence is an incredibly powerful way to understand the unique problems in stormwater and urban flooding management that each city faces. And then the other half of the time, you’ll be digging into your particular field of expertise – whether it is data science, engineering, or GIS – to help the CX team as a whole accomplish our goals.
In addition, you are:
- Naturally inquisitive. Curiosity is a strength!
- An excellent communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to solve any problem you put your mind to, or at the very least you can figure out the best person to solve that problem.
- Convinced that anything is possible! It’s just a matter of figuring out how.
- Comfortable being uncomfortable. You have the courage to get through tough situations and tough times.
- A mentor. You can communicate collaboratively with everyone, both team members and customers.
- Able to ask for and accept feedback gracefully and effectively.
- Able to bounce back from failure and realize you’re not in this alone.
- Excited to work with a startup and understand that our customers drive our success.
- Egoless (or at least as much as is reasonable for a human to be). You’ll make mistakes, you’ll fix mistakes, you won’t judge others’ mistakes, and you’ll grow from each experience.
- Define and implement standards/procedures for ensuring optimal customer experience.
- Perform initial onboarding of customers, and navigate then through the installation and setup process, ensuring adoption and ongoing engagement throughout the customer’s lifetime.
- Conduct ongoing data analysis and review to ensure the customers’ networks are functioning ideally.
- Capture relevant information to complete at least one case study per customer.
- Conduct field support for installation contractors and city installers.
- Develop presentations and present findings to customers and their supervisors.
- Present at conferences and network with future customers.
- Perform periodic customer success reviews that confirm satisfaction, resolve issues with the help of the Technical Support team, and encourage network expansion and software upgrades with existing customers.
- Develop processes and best practices to ensure customers are realizing the greatest possible value from their StormSensor network.
- Be the primary interface to manage and resolve any essential situations.
- Provide expert customer insight to product management, marketing and sales on what innovation and improvement in the user experience, product capabilities and features, and customer engagement processes that ensure rapid adoption, as well as high renewal, upgrade, expansion, and referral rates for each of our customers
- Exceed all performance targets, including maintaining high unit renewal rates
- Work closely with the sales team from the proposal stage on to ensure smooth transition to installation and customer support.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in customer/client-facing roles
- Degree in civil/environmental engineering, environmental science, geology, geography, or another technical field rooted in the natural systems
- Experience in data science, stormwater modeling, sewer/hydraulic engineering, and/or urban geography/GIS
- Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
- Great planning, organizational, and creative thinking skills
- U.S. work authorization
- Location: remote, based near Midwest or East Coast hub airport
Benefits & Perks
- Compensation: DOE
- Monthly health insurance stipend
- Unlimited paid time off
- Remote work + tight team
- Passionate, collaborative, and generally awesome co-workers
If you’ve got the skills and are interested in joining a great team, we’d love to learn more about you. Submit your resume and CV to Erin Rothman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note concerning travel during COVID-19 pandemic: StormSensor is considered an essential service provider (water/wastewater) and continues to travel to customer cities during the pandemic. Water/wastewater workers are included in Phase 1C group of the CDC ACIP vaccine rollout recommendations. We follow all CDC guidelines to ensure safety of our team and our customers.